Sunday, January 23, 2011

Song #5: Boring Journey to the Sex Planet

http://soundcloud.com/ignatius-zoo/boring-journey-to-the-sex-planet

Boring Journey to the Sex Planet by Ignatius Zoo

I like songs that tell stories. This one tells a story so simple and dull that there are only six words in the lyrics.

I continue to be amazed at how hard it is to write simple songs. Most of this song is a simple D chord, droning harmony, and the occasional intrusion of synthesizer. And simple drums, too. But it took me years to shape this one. It started about 2 years ago, finding a sound I really liked in Reason 4 called "Bubble Harp". (I couldn't find it in Reason 5. Figures.) I loved the combination of Jew's Harp twang and sittar drone in that sound. After playing around with it for a while and coming up with the title and lyrics, I found myself listening to "The Creep-Out" by The Dandy Warhols. Thematically similar, I guess; wrapping a simple song around an almost non-existent lyrical structure. But I'll bet the Dandys cranked that one out in real-time imrpovization, and didn't wait years to mold that song just-so.

Again, I must credit this fake glam-rock career for making me produce this one. Without an artificial deadline, it wouldn't have happened.

You're beautiful, baby.


***


Boring Journey to the Sex Planet
©2011, Ignatius Zoo

I hope we get there soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment